\n\nOn Thursday, view here July 10th, buy Perimeter Gallery opens “Standard”, an exhibition of new banners by South Portland artist Karen Gelardi. A reception to meet the artist will be held that evening from 6 to 8 pm.\n\n \n\nGelardi’s colorful geometric fabric assemblies are the second series of banners to be shown by the artist at Perimeter Gallery. Gelardi’s new works are minimal, animated, compositions of sewn linen shapes. The work is a departure from her previous banner exhibit in its simplicity and direct connection to design and production.\n\n \n\nThe new banners were produced with a mass manufacturing approach utilizing standardized components, design processes, and the labor of the Maine-based workshop, New Factories. Banners, by their nature, signify individual and group identities— military, religious, trade unions, and radicals. The work in the exhibit, Standard, explores an alignment with the utopian modernist principles of the Bauhaus where artists and mass-manufacturing are reconciled.\n\n \n\nKaren Gelardi studied painting at Rhode Island School of Design and has been influenced by the design and manufacturing processes of her family’s plastics factory in Biddeford. She has exhibited widely in New England, including a solo shows at The Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport and Coleman Burke Gallery in New York.\n\n \n\n“Standard” will be on view through August 24th. Perimeter Gallery is located in Chase’s Daily at 96 Main Streeet in Belfast. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday 7-5, and Sunday, 8-2. For more information, call 338-0555.
- Portland’s Self-Proclaimed Digi... — Portland Maine – Ann Tracy opens her Installation Art Exhibit entitled Visual Poetics of a War on Women with a reception on Monday, July 17th from 5 to 7 pm at Running with Scissors, 250 Anderson St., Portland, Maine. This interactive exhibit includes fabric, objects and video in response to the political situation of the [...]
- Untitled — The Portland Chapter of the Union of Maine Visual Artists is pleased to announce the UMVA Members’ Summer Show at the UMVA Gallery. The Opening of the exhibit is July 7th (5-8 p.m.) during Portland’s First Friday ArtWalk. The show will run through July 27th. The Gallery is located at CTN (Community Television Network), [...]
- Maine Jewish Museum — Before the Flood – Anita Clearfield: Anita Clearfield creates figurative abstractions, combining paint, video and found objects. In Before the Flood, Clearfield’s paintings and video installations reflect on the end of times: Biblical, climate change, and personal mortality. Her works mirror the disconnection for many people between one’s mundane life and Big Picture events. Her [...]
- Book Launch, Talk and Signing — Ellsworth Courthouse Gallery Fine Art is pleased host the launch of Philip Barter: Forever Maine by Carl Little, a new book published by Marshall Wilkes on the work and career of painter Philip Barter. The launch will be held at the gallery on Wednesday, July 12 from 4:00–7pm, in conjunction with a solo exhibition of Barter’s recent work, which runs through July 20. The book launch consist of a [...]
- Solo Exhibition of Malley Weber’s Cer... — HALLOWELL, MAINE — The Harlow Gallery presents a solo exhibition of ceramic works by artist Malley Weber on view July 28-September 2, 2017 with an opening reception on Friday, July 28 from 5-7pm. Exhibitions are always free and open to the public. Harlow Gallery is located at 160 Water Street and hours are Wednesday–Saturday 12-6pm. [...]