\n\nOn Thursday, view here July 10th, buy Perimeter Gallery opens “Standard”, an exhibition of new banners by South Portland artist Karen Gelardi. A reception to meet the artist will be held that evening from 6 to 8 pm.\n\n \n\nGelardi’s colorful geometric fabric assemblies are the second series of banners to be shown by the artist at Perimeter Gallery. Gelardi’s new works are minimal, animated, compositions of sewn linen shapes. The work is a departure from her previous banner exhibit in its simplicity and direct connection to design and production.\n\n \n\nThe new banners were produced with a mass manufacturing approach utilizing standardized components, design processes, and the labor of the Maine-based workshop, New Factories. Banners, by their nature, signify individual and group identities— military, religious, trade unions, and radicals. The work in the exhibit, Standard, explores an alignment with the utopian modernist principles of the Bauhaus where artists and mass-manufacturing are reconciled.\n\n \n\nKaren Gelardi studied painting at Rhode Island School of Design and has been influenced by the design and manufacturing processes of her family’s plastics factory in Biddeford. She has exhibited widely in New England, including a solo shows at The Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport and Coleman Burke Gallery in New York.\n\n \n\n“Standard” will be on view through August 24th. Perimeter Gallery is located in Chase’s Daily at 96 Main Streeet in Belfast. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday 7-5, and Sunday, 8-2. For more information, call 338-0555.
- Belfast Fourth Friday Art Walk — (Belfast, ME) Belfast Creative Coalition (BCC) announces the first of the 2017 Belfast Fourth Friday Art Walks! The opening Art Walk of the 2017 season will take place on May 26 on and around Main Street and High Street in downtown Belfast, from 5:30 to 8:00 pm. Over the last decade the Belfast Fourth Friday [...]
- American Genre: Contemporary Painting — Portland, Maine ~ The Institute of Contemporary Art at Maine College of Art is pleased to announce American Genre: Contemporary Painting curated by artist, writer, and curator Michelle Grabner. Grabner is the Crown Family Professor of Art at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. American Genre: Contemporary Painting [...]
- 8 Maine artists receive awards — HALLOWELL, MAINE — The Harlow Gallery has announced the award-winning artists for Art2017, the 22nd annual juried art show on view at the Harlow Gallery at 160 Water Street in Hallowell now through June 24, 2017. Gallery hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 12-6pm. The gallery’s annual juried show is a tradition that draws artists to [...]
- Second Sunday — HALLOWELL, MAINE — The public is invited to join Don and Eileen Kerr for a Second Sunday Wire Sculpture workshop on Sunday, February 12 from 2-4pm at Harlow Gallery, 160 Water Street in Hallowell. At the completion of the session each participant may bring home a wire figure – which they will have made, and [...]
- Kenny Cole at Central Gallery — Central Gallery in Bangor will be exhibiting new work by Kenny Cole during the month of February. On exhibit will be Cole’s new “Smart Phone Collage Paintings”, a further exploration in two dimensions of his sculptural wooden “Dummy Smart Phones” first created in 2015. There will be an opening reception on February 4, from 7:00 [...]