\n\nOn Thursday, view here July 10th, buy Perimeter Gallery opens “Standard”, an exhibition of new banners by South Portland artist Karen Gelardi. A reception to meet the artist will be held that evening from 6 to 8 pm.\n\n \n\nGelardi’s colorful geometric fabric assemblies are the second series of banners to be shown by the artist at Perimeter Gallery. Gelardi’s new works are minimal, animated, compositions of sewn linen shapes. The work is a departure from her previous banner exhibit in its simplicity and direct connection to design and production.\n\n \n\nThe new banners were produced with a mass manufacturing approach utilizing standardized components, design processes, and the labor of the Maine-based workshop, New Factories. Banners, by their nature, signify individual and group identities— military, religious, trade unions, and radicals. The work in the exhibit, Standard, explores an alignment with the utopian modernist principles of the Bauhaus where artists and mass-manufacturing are reconciled.\n\n \n\nKaren Gelardi studied painting at Rhode Island School of Design and has been influenced by the design and manufacturing processes of her family’s plastics factory in Biddeford. She has exhibited widely in New England, including a solo shows at The Center for Maine Contemporary Art in Rockport and Coleman Burke Gallery in New York.\n\n \n\n“Standard” will be on view through August 24th. Perimeter Gallery is located in Chase’s Daily at 96 Main Streeet in Belfast. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday 7-5, and Sunday, 8-2. For more information, call 338-0555.
- Second Sunday — HALLOWELL, MAINE — The public is invited to join Don and Eileen Kerr for a Second Sunday Wire Sculpture workshop on Sunday, February 12 from 2-4pm at Harlow Gallery, 160 Water Street in Hallowell. At the completion of the session each participant may bring home a wire figure – which they will have made, and [...]
- Kenny Cole at Central Gallery — Central Gallery in Bangor will be exhibiting new work by Kenny Cole during the month of February. On exhibit will be Cole’s new “Smart Phone Collage Paintings”, a further exploration in two dimensions of his sculptural wooden “Dummy Smart Phones” first created in 2015. There will be an opening reception on February 4, from 7:00 [...]
- Art Together Mornings — Art Together Mornings Begin February 4th with Painting to Music Art Together Mornings, Waterfall Arts’ free monthly series of activities for children and their adults begins on Saturday, February 4 from 10 to noon. Bridget Matros, Youth and Family Outreach Coordinator at Waterfall and a creative development specialist, leads the activities. The theme for [...]
- Untitled — HALLOWELL, MAINE — Harlow Gallery presents a two part workshop “Fast, Cheap and Easy: an Unorthodox Block Printing Primer”, lead by Scott Minzy. The printmaking workshop is 7-9pm on Tuesdays and is split into two 4-week sessions and is hosted by Harlow Gallery, located at 160 Water Street in Hallowell. The first 4-week session is [...]
- The Venn Project — HALLOWELL, MAINE — The Harlow Gallery presents The Venn Project, featuring the work of Pamela Hetherly, Anita Morrissey, and Nancy Keenan Barron. The Venn Project is on view at 160 Water Street in Hallowell February 3 – March 11, 2017 with an opening reception on Friday, February 3, from 5-7pm. Both the exhibition and the [...]